Tuesday, July 18, 2006

I'm Having A Baby... Finally!!!

This week, I reached the 140-lb mark. I've never been heavier in my life, not that I was ever ultra thin. But I have a GREAT excuse... There's life growing inside me. God planted a little miracle in my womb and soon, His baby will be born to us - two excited, nervous parents to be.

It took us over a year to get me pregnant. Back when I was single and a 30-year old virgin, I thought having a baby was an easy, most natural thing. Little did I know that there's so much science, technique, theory and timing that go into it. Oh, and so many well-meaning friends gave all sorts of "helpful" advice. There's having sex in the afternoon or whenever you usually don't do it; taking cough syrup before making love to improve one's fertility; applying an ice pack on Boydee's thingy to improve circulation; making love in a cool environment; making love doggy style; raising my legs after doing it and not making wee wee to keep the sperm inside and so much more. Of course, all pieces of advice were taken with a grain of salt so lest your minds go wandering off, we didn't follow everything to the book, AND we chose which ones were do-able and reasonable. (Rands, if you're reading this, masyadong censored ba? hahaha...)

We took it easy for a year, thinking the pregnancy was bound to happen soon. Having an irregular menstrual cycle didn't help any. It made it difficult to determine whether I was fertile, or delayed. So whenever I felt fat, I'd hope this was it. When I'd miss my period for a few days, I'd hope. Few times, I took the pregnancy test, praying "Hail Mary" before reading the results... and each time, it showed one line only (negative). And I'd feel frustrated and sad. And I felt sorry for Boydee also because I couldn't give him a baby yet.

After our 1st anniversary, we resolved to exhaust more efforts in making a baby. I prayed everyday the Novenas to Sto. Nino de Providencia and the Lady of La Leche; and on the 9th-17th of each month, Boydee and I would pray the novena to St. Therese.

I also changed ob-gynes. I transferred to Ate Rona's ob-gyne, Dr. Mitch Dado, and she explained the science of baby-making and the importance of timing. It helped that she was very warm, friendly, accommodating, intelligent and patient in answering my questions... and Boydee's.

She gave me Clomid to help make sure my eggs fertilize. The first cycle didn't work. I skipped the next cycle since Boydee and I were gonna be apart during the time I was supposed to be fertile. The next cycle did it! That was March 2006 and I found out I was pregnant when I was already 6 weeks on the way.

We had just come back from the US to visit Daddy who was hospitalized. I was feeling bloated and was tired easily. I was also a little delayed from my estimated day of my period. We were at our beach house in Cebu but I'd already bought a pregnancy test kit here in Manila. In the morning of May 1, I asked Boydee if I should take the test. He said yes, no harm in trying. So I took the test while he watched beside me. And for the first time ever, ever in my life (and hopefully his...hehehe...), the test registered two lines. I finally passed!!! I stood there in disbelief while Boydee ecstatically hugged me and said "I love you, Love!!!!", happiness in his voice.

The next day, we came back to Manila. I still couldn't believe it so I took another test. It was positive again. I kinda got convinced then. After several disappointments, I just had to be sure. So, I texted Doc Mitch and scheduled an appointment.

On appointment day, Boydee and I went to ClarkMed. Doc Mitch was smiling. I told her I took 2 pregnancy tests and they both registered positive. We had an ultrasound and there it was... The little baby, although it didn't look like one yet. But it already had a heart beat. I couldn't see the screen from the ultrasound but I could see he/she was there from the look of Boydee's face. Oh, how he beamed and smiled. We were both teary-eyed and overwhelmed by this blessing. This was it. God finally decided we were ready to accept His great gift.

I'm now on my fourth month. Occasionally, I read to the baby with Reese, Rielle, Raegan, Rogan and Boydee, alternating. Occasionally, I listen to classical music. In the mornings, Boydee greets our little baby good morning in my womb. He would put his hand on my tummy and say "Hello Baby!". And my heart melts.

We pray for a normal and healthy baby and a safe and normal delivery for me. We pray the baby will grow up to have a kind and loving heart and will discover God early and be His friend.

Looking back, I realize God never left us alone, despite my feelings of frustration before. He gave us enough time to enjoy the two of us and adjust to married life. He gave us time to bond with the family and take care of Daddy. He gave us the opportunity to travel together as husband and wife without the 'hassles' yet of babies.

God was watching over us all along. And just like how Boydee and I found each other and loved, God also just waited for the right time for the baby to come along... It's all on His own time. And now, I'm having a baby... finally!!! :-D


Rona said...

Yay! Beautiful writing...although it needs a smidgen of censoring in the beginning, hehehehehe!

Praying for a safe and uneventful pregnancy and delivery.

Btw, have Boydee keep talking to the baby. That way, the baby will recognize his voice as well as yours.

redscrapper/elizza dizon said...

really an O-some (haha--my word for the day) feeling...when you want something so badly and HE gives it to you...HE had his reasons why HE kept postponing HIS blessing....maybe HE wants you to experience being with your nieces and nephews first! see? even they are super excited! and how great that your little baby will be showered with so much love--the same love you've showered our little ones...

congratulations again -- and here's to more babies and NONE for us anymore! haha!